Wednesday 23 June 2010

Leaving Las Vegas

I've just had the pleasure of revisiting this film, thanks to ITV2.

When I first watched it as a kid, it was just a series of twisted images for the adolescent wank bank. After watching it tonight, I feel very differently about it.

You can look at this film in two different ways:

OKAY NICHOLAS CAGE, YOU'RE A DRUNK, WE GET IT!

or

A beautiful study of two massively flawed and psychotic characters, set against the backdrop of one of the most isolated and diverse cities in the world.

The script is beautifully written, and I can't recommend it enough.

I'm definitely an advocate of the latter point of view. There are many touching, emotive moments in this film. I love that they are both able to accept each other as they are (at least, to begin with). This is symbolised by the flask that Sera gives him when he moves into her house, and he tells her strait that he has no problems with her 'trade'. Their chemistry is so natural and visible on the screen. Even as a prostitute, she is endearing.

I'm glad I rewatched "Leaving Las Vegas". I knew I liked this film, but I wasn't quite sure why. Now, I remember.

8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment