Wednesday 11 August 2010

In Bruges

Forgive me, I'm very, very late with this review. But I sat through most of this film either in fits of laughter, or simply with my mouth wide open in amazement.

The concept isn't complicated at all. It couldn't be simpler. It's the simplest, most obvious story option: take two characters, put them in a place they've never been, and see what happens. Simple enough.

It's the combination of Farrells' well timed comedic skill and a great mix of unexpected events that make this movie work. It feels so fresh and quirky. What's surprising is that Writer and Director Martin McDonagh is responsible for only one other film - Six Shooter - which I haven't yet had the fortune to see.

I was so wrapped up in the story that I just couldn't remind myself to pay any attention to other aspects. The film was a lot darker than I expected, and actually quite gruesome in places. It also had a very sad, solemn undertone, which is mentioned so briefly and quickly on only a few occasions that you could quite easily forget about it or miss it altogether.

All of the actors are at their best here, and I especially loved the American Midget; Easily one of my favourite performances from a midget. I've always enjoyed Colin Farrell and it's been a while since I watched him in anything; In Bruges reminded me why I have always liked him.

I'm off to hunt down the script now! See this movie if you haven't already!

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment