Monday 8 March 2010

What the hell does a creative writing group do?

So there i was, minding my own business, reading the newspaper, when i see that there's a local creative writing group. The advert informs me that it's newly formed and the number to ring if i'm interested. Well, it's free, so i am definitely interested. However, i don't want to turn up at the library at 10.30am and have to spend the next two hours with a couple of old blokes and their dogs, who have nothing interesting to say or write. I'm essentially flying blind. In fact, come to think of it, i'm not even sure what a creative writing group is for. It would be an experience just to find that out alone. Maybe it's to bounce ideas off each other, which in my opinion, is only damaging the natural creative process of the author. There's a name for this: callaboration. And if i wanted to collaberate i'd do it with a friend.

So, now i have an internal conflict blooming. Do i give in to the curiousity and go? Curiousity killed the cat, apparently. So maybe i should just stay home and work by myself on something of my own? No, this won't do either. The group meeting is on my day off work, so i might as well occupy myself productively. I hope you can see my problem here. Maybe i'll turn up early for the meeting but stand outside, across the road, watching the aliens going in to the meeting place. That way i'd get a better idea of the sort of creatures i'm dealing with. Actually, that's no good, because i could miss out on a lay in. So I'll ring the contact tomorrow and be up front about it. How many are going? What age range? What's the whole point of the group anyway? Are you a sexual predator, out to rape me and sell my material?

What a dilemma. If i havn't returned by midnight on Wednesday the ninth, call the police, and tell them i risked my life by attending a creative writing group.

No comments:

Post a Comment